3 Things You Need To Be Happier At Work
Who doesn’t want to be happy at work? We spend a lot of time at work, and we will feel so much more fulfilled if we are happy at work.
So what makes you happy at work? Annie McKee, author of How to to be happy at work, researched this topic and found these three things are at the top of the list:
- PURPOSE: To feel that we are making a difference. Our work is aligned to our values, and we have a positive impact on poeple and results.
- HOPE: To see a link between the work and our vision for the future. Our work is tied to our goals and aspirations.
- FRIENDSHIP: Great relationships, and in particular, warm relationships with colleagues, team members and bosses.
Gallup developed the world’s leading study on employee engagement. Gallup have identified 12 core elements that link to business outcomes, and created the Q12 questionaire. Even Gallup have identified the key elements that are needed to be engaged and happy at work:
- Does the mission/purpose of your company make you feel your job is important?
- Do you have a best friend at work?
Have a look at your work. Do you feel you are making a difference? Are the work you are doing helping you to achieve your goals and aspirations? And do you like the people you work with?
If there is a gap, make a plan to change yourself, or change your work, or change both yourself and your workplace. When you are happy at work, it is much easier to be exceptional!